My-opic Vision

Up close and personal...

Monday, January 12, 2015

Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird'


A book that left a lasting impression on me is Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird. The first time I read this novel I was 21 and it left the chirpy me quiet for several days.
 
I was bowled over by its protagonist – Atticus Finch, a widower with two young children. Atticus doesn’t fit the image of the typical hero that I normally fancied. He is neither a chocolate hero from a romantic comedy nor is he a proud, strong-headed lead whose soft side is revealed in the end. Atticus is a powerful personality who, with his dedication for his cause (fighting a case embroiled in racist controversies) and silent resilience, made me realize that a powerful personality is not about great biceps and rugged looks or a successful career and pleasing attitude. It is about standing up for what you believe in even in the face of severe opposition. Atticus has the strength to accept everyone, especially his neighbours, as they are and forgive his detractors. He is a perfect father, who balances love and discipline without ever losing his temper. 

Atticus made me understand rebellion in its true sense. I realized that we don't need to scream our lungs out or protest hoarsely to challenge what is wrong. He made me believe in the power of a non-violent, just struggle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sujata said...

Nisha,the character analysis of Atticus,one of my all time favorite literary characters, was bang on! Although it never occurred to me he was less than perfect in any way as a hero.I agree with you on all counts,I couldn't have said it better myself.

It is so much tougher to maintain a calm demeanour and do the right thing in an understated manner. On some things you can't tread halfway,you have to make your stance clear and fight for it. Come to think of it, Harry Potter has some of his qualities.

What a coincidence that we both the read the book at the same age! I had been thinking about revisiting To Kill a Mocking bird for the past few months. Then I read your words- this is a sign from the universe.

A short piece but you have made every word count. Loved it,one can see that you were blown away by him and yet you are objective about the man.

And what a way to revive the blog. Keep writing :)

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home